When an athlete is injured and requires pain management, be aware and ask questions.
Questions to ask your physician:
- Does the prescribed medication have addictive side effects?
- Is there an alternative medication available that poses less risk, or possibly eliminates the risk of addiction?
- Can non-medication treatments be included to reduce or eliminate the need for pain medication?
- Is the duration of the prescription consistent with the duration that pain medication will be required?
- Can the dosage be reduced over time, or adjusted over time?
Considerations for a Parent/Guardian/Athlete:
- Who will be managing the consumption of the prescribed drug?
- Will the drug be stored in a manner that prevents accidental or unwarranted access?
- Will the athlete being prescribed the medication be an active and aware participant throughout the process?
- Do you know how to properly dispose of the medication if there is any excess?